RebelAlliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome all members of the RebelAlliance. Register now to join us on our quest to destroy TheEmpire on World 6.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Build Strategies (Connecting the Dots)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Taroud

Taroud

Build Strategies (Connecting the Dots) Empty
PostSubject: Build Strategies (Connecting the Dots)   Build Strategies (Connecting the Dots) EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 8:16 pm

I've reviewed a few guides and pointers and maps, etc. I like to use a method of "building by rules" rather than "make 3x3s" or "make a WCWP (etc) pattern" or otherwise. While using City Planner, my general rules are:

1. Cottages should touch at least 3 factory type buildings (wood cutters, quarries, or iron mines). Otherwise, the building space it uses would be more efficient elsewhere.
1a. It's generally more effective to focus on maximizing the number of factory types a cottage touches than maximizing the number of cottages a factory touches.
2. All factory type buildings should touch 1 and only 1 production bonus building (sawmill, mason, foundry). Not touching a bonus kills the production by about 60% (525 base units vs 300 base units), but touching more than one is not efficient.
2a. Production bonus buildings should touch as many factory types as possible while giving space for the cottages to maximize - the center of a 3x3 with 2 cottages (or same type of natural resource) along either its horizontal or vertical axis is best.
3. Use natural resources when practical. A nice straight line of resources is a beautiful thing - it's like having a free row of level 5 cottages.
3a. Caveat - Factory type buildings do not need to touch a natural resource to be effective.
3b. Corollary - Destroy natural resources when they can't be used in a practical way and are in the way of an otherwise efficient building pattern (this is the most counter-intuitive rule, but important to remember).
4. Clear out a nice open space of 5x5 that contains as many lakes as possible for the farming area - place 1 mill in the middle of it and 4 farms diagonally adjacent to the mill. This 5x5 should only have one space on the outside edge of it taken by a town wall.
5. Sandwich military buildings between lines of barracks to maximize potential (I messed this up in my town below - oops!)

I'm still working out awesome townhouse strategies - it seems they are most effective on their own.

By using a method of rules rather than straight pattern following, I find that I'm less likely to fall into a "How do I fit this 4x4 structure here?" problem. Also, it makes connecting the buildings together a bit more intuitive.

Here's my current city plan for some examples. Let's dominate, and have some fun!

Build Strategies (Connecting the Dots) Screenshot5vw

Edit: I think I might put a hideout in the middle of those 6 forests - It can be used to great effect there. Also, I think I'll move my (potential) castle to the center - that'll allow for more military expansion if needed. I'm still not certain about my harbours and townhouses.

Any comment, question, or criticism to my method is welcome - I want to perfect it for my next city. ^_^
Back to top Go down

Build Strategies (Connecting the Dots)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
RebelAlliance :: Lord of Ultima :: General Chat-
Jump to: